This is the third coming of our Fashion Dazzler series. Lol. We promise to keep it consistent this time around. Watch out for a fresh interview each new week. Our Fashion dazzler series is aimed at uncovering the voice of style influencers not only in the fashion industry, but from all around the creative sphere. NSPK picks out a creative who dazzles with their impeccable style and we try to unearth valuable Life/style info that you might use. Very much thrilled, I must confess to begin this new run with this remarkable interview we had with Papa.
25-year-old Papa Ibrahima Ndome is a model, stylist and an artistic director from Dakar. A great enthusiast of art and culture, Papa also has an undying love for poetry and writing. Popularly known as Papa Iceberg in the creative sphere, he is a firm believer in individual expression. For him, each individual contributes with his/her instrument to the universal music.Fashion has become the pen with which he writes his own stories, and through photography Papa tries to share feelings, emotions, frustrations, worries, fears but especially the subtle and unsuspected beauty in Senegalese daily life, Dakarois more precisely.
NSPK: Is There Any Experience From Your Childhood That Set You Up For A Career In Fashion & Style?
Papa: I never knew what I would become or even what I wanted to be when I was young. All I knew was that I was very « different» from people I grew up with and from my family.
Growing up, I was very shy and lonely. Not because I was not surrounded, but I was lonely because I didn’t have any means of expressing myself. I never knew how to.
My love for fashion & style comes from my envy of expressing myself using clothes, since I don’t know how to do it with words. That’s why my style is very bold and expressive, because I put EVERYTHING in it.
NSPK: Tell Us About The Source(s) Of Inspiration For Your Style?
Papa: I am a VERY self-centered person. I am much closed to myself.
I listen to myself more than anyone else.
I don’t know if I’d make sense when I’ll say “I inspire myself”
Everything comes from a very personal and emotional source from me.
On another hand, I’m very spontaneous and observant. Everything around me can kindle my creativity: the noises, the colors, the streets… I love randomness because I don’t plan things. I just do.
NSPK: Tell Us about the Most Common Remark(s) You Get About Your Personal Style?
Papa: “Are you Senegalese?” “You are so weird and extra”
First of all, I am Senegalese, I was born and raised here and I never traveled.
And secondly, I’m not weird and I’m not showing off.
This might sound very paradoxical, but I’m very anxious socially and I hate when people stare at me.
But my love for fashion and my passion are stronger than my fears.
NSPK: If You Could Change One Thing Right Now About Your Industry What Would It Be?
Papa: From what I know (based on my country), Two things would go: labels, and the fact that we can’t even talk about « Industry » in my country.
In a social way, it is so hard to express yourself as a creative or model or just as someone who has something « different » to say.
Also, I find it so sad that we can’t talk about « industry of fashion » just because people don’t want to…why can’t we all work together and think about ways to solve the problems we’re facing!
Although we have lots of great artists, designers, models… to me it doesn’t make any sense if we don’t get along and move forward together.
NSPK: Tell Us About Any On-Going Or Future Projects That You Are Excited About?
Papa: My modelling agency; Amymgmt I just co-founded my modelling agency with a friend of mine who’s a photographer based in Paris.
WHY? Because I wish I had an agency here in my country. Models are not represented, they cannot be “international models” while staying here, which is sad!
Plus, we have a lot of potential; randomly, people are beautiful and would literally kill it on the runway fashion shows.
I just cannot wait to surprise myself with another version of me.
1. Twitter or IG? – INSTAGRAM
2. Notepad or eWriter? – Notepad; I love writing down stuffs. I love pencils and pieces of papers.
3. Coffee or Tea? – OMG coffee!!! I also like tea. But coffee is bae!
4. Read a book or Listen to podcast? – Read a book! I love holding a book and dive into it. I’m very old school.
5. Comfort or Fashionable? – Both. It actually depends on my mood and where I’m going to. I can also dress fashionable while being comfy.
6. Current song on replay? – All the songs from “seven sundays” by SIR. Love it!
7. Favourite TV show of all time? – Fresh Prince of Bel-air. The styling was perfect and inspired me a lot.
8. Idea for a perfect date? – Fun fact; I’ve never had a date (shame)… But I’d say shopping together, and then sit in a cool place where u can get good food and have beautiful conversation.
9. Favourite perfume/makeup brand? – After “Thiouray Gowè” (a local natural incense), Whisky by Carbon
10. If you had to wear one fashion brand for the rest of your life, who? – Why is this question hard? Very hard!!! Yves Saint Laurent… but I’d stay traditional if I had to wear one fashion style for the rest of my life.